Senior Technical Manager - Spacecraft Mechanical Design
Compensation: $95,870.00 - $143,270.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
We're looking for an outstanding senior technical leader with a successful background leading a team in the development of complex space systems. This individual will plan and execute strategic initiatives to advance the development of spacecraft Bus architectures for our future LEO missions. The ideal candidate will have a history of delivering flight vehicle hardware and high impact innovations, with extensive expertise and experience across multiple aspects of vehicle design.
This is a hands-on technical leadership role collecting inputs from, and providing essential input to multiple subsystems, disciplines, and leadership team. The ideal candidate has experience making major trades for satellite bus architectures, including integration of all subsystems, payload, and interface with launch vehicle. This role includes hiring, and mentoring senior and junior colleagues.
* Deliver a LEO Satellite BUS design to be produced in high volume, and meeting performance, cost, and schedule deliverables.
* Extensive detailed trades in determination of a physical architecture optimized for vehicle parameters and launch vehicle integration.
* Applying extensive knowledge and experience in reviewing, negotiating, and establishing requirements for overall vehicle that satisfies high reliability on-orbit payload operations. This requires a highly collaborative engagement with senior leaders from multiple disciplines - vehicle electrical architecture, payload, AIT, manufacturing, supply chain.
* Key contributor to vehicle subsystem trades for Power, Payload, Propulsion, ADCS, Avionics.
* Develop the vehicle schedule that supports physical architecture trades, detail design, hardware development, and vehicle level testing to align with master schedule deliverables.
* Engaging with Launch Vehicle providers for design of optimized integration approach for high volume processing.
* Key contributor in the review and selection of potential technology suppliers for hardware development and / or test.
* Preparation and documentation of review materials for design review gates.
* Managing a development team with extensive multidisciplinary interactions.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
* 10+ years of experience in multi-discipline team management, delivering highly innovative solutions for technologically complex space hardware.
* Experience in the processes to develop space flight ready hardware - including documentation, design and analysis tools, iteration management, version control, issue tracking (Jira / Trac), test and qualification processes.
* Experience with structural design and dynamics requirements for spacecraft, and all environment factors affecting long term on-orbit reliability.
* Experience in full dev cycle for vehicle development from concept trades through development, to flight readiness, to on-orbit successful operation.
* 7+ years of experience in budgeting fast paced development projects, and delivering hardware on time to meet cost goals.
* Bachelor's degree in mechanical, structural or aerospace engineering, or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
* Your stuff has been to space - and operated as intended.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...