Lead Aerodynamics Engineer
Compensation: $123,230.00 - $176,910.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
Company is developing an air-launch test platform to contribute to high-speed research and development. The goal is to utilize the capabilities of the Company's Carrier Aircraft and air-launch test vehicles to enable development of technologies that may not exist otherwise. Company strives to create technology development opportunities for commercial, philanthropic, and governmental organizations to collect rich and actionable data and drive advancements in science, research, and technology.
To achieve these great efforts, Company is seeking a Lead Aerodynamics Engineer
to guide the continued development of the Carrier Aircraft as well as the Launch Vehicle Pylon.
The successful applicant will be experienced in aerodynamic simulation, wind tunnel testing, and flight testing, and will be well versed in all aspect of flight sciences relevant to the Carrier Aircraft.
You will develop and implement aerodynamic models which will be used by yourself and others to predict the behavior of the Carrier Aircraft, the Launch Vehicle Pylon, and the Launch Vehicles interacting with its environment throughout the operating envelope.
You will establish limits of the carrier aircraft operating envelope, taking into consideration its flight control characteristics, aeroelastic effects, and other issues arising from the integration and operation of the vehicles in the earth atmosphere. You will develop test plans and participate in flight test campaigns to demonstrate safe operation of the system throughout the flight envelope.
You will regularly communicate progress and technical issues with the flight sciences manager. The successful candidate will have a strong mathematical background, and an ability to work with a small team in a fast-paced engineering development environment.Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the flight sciences activities on the Carrier Aircraft program
- Contribute to flight test plans for envelope expansion
- Support flight tests as a mission control operator
- Analyze flight test data
- Update vehicle flight limits
- Develop design loads for the launch vehicle pylon
- Characterize flutter limits
- Inform flight test points and flight instrumentation
- Predict vehicle aerodynamics and external loads using CFD
- Create clear and consistent CFD visualizations
- Predict vehicle aerodynamics using empirical methods
- Update aerodynamic models
- Define vehicle outer mold lines to support modifications, as needed
- Develop and implement aero tolerances
- Document inputs, assumptions, and limitations
- Bachelor?s degree in aerospace engineering or similar
- 7+ years of experience in flight sciences or flight test
- Experience as a mission control operator
- Experience defining vehicle flight limits
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
Required computer skills
- Experience performing CFD analysis
- Strong understanding of flight loads development
- Strong understanding flutter analysis and test planning
- Private pilot
- Scripting languages (Python, Matlab or similar)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Associated topics: aeroelasticity, aeronautical, aerospace, astronautical, missle, pilot, propulsion, rocket, satellite, water jet
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...